Is A Poured Concrete Wall Better Than A Block Wall?
Block Foundation Walls
The majority of homes constructed before the 1970s have block foundations. It was a popular foundation form, to say the least. Cinder blocks can withstand a lot of compression. This means that the top of this foundation style can withstand a lot of weight.
Big box stores sell cinder blocks that are already manufactured and ready to use. The blocks are simple to store and transfer to a job site. To keep costs down, poured concrete must be prepared before use, and concrete mixing trucks must drive a short distance to the construction site.
One disadvantage of cinder block wall foundations is that they are more prone to buckling and bowing. Buckling and bowing are caused by either inadequate structure or lateral water pressure underground. As a result, depending on the extent of the damage, repairing them can be very costly.
Poured Concrete Walls
Poured concrete walls are unquestionably more durable than cinder block walls. They don’t have the same kinds of joints that you see between blocks. The cove joint is the only joint present in poured concrete basements. The wall lies on top of the footing, and the floor meets the wall here.
The underground lateral pressure exerted by the soil and water is excellently resisted by poured concrete walls. It is for this reason that engineers and architects are gradually turning to them.
Poured walls can be built on any foundation during the construction process. It is the preferred approach for last-minute adjustments if there is a lot of confusion during construction. The drawbacks of poured concrete walls are not the same as those of cinder blocks. Concrete comes in a range of shapes and sizes.
When cement prep and production are far from the job site, poured cement walls can be more costly than block walls. It’s something to think about if you’re starting from scratch. Poured cement, on the other hand, is ideal for any form of base.
Reasons Why You should Always Pick Poured Concrete Walls
- Design versatility – Builders have more construction versatility for poured concrete walls. Regardless of the base style, they may make a last-minute adjustment. Builders begin with a liquid form and then create a mold in any shape or design. With cinder block walls, this is difficult to do.
- Low Maintenance – Poured concrete walls need less upkeep. They have less joints, are more resistant to lateral pressure, and are fireproof. With external waterproofing, there may be no signs of cracks or water leakage for the first 5 to 10 years.
- Fire Resistant – As compared to cinder blocks, poured concrete walls have the highest fire safety rating.
- Ensures Quality – When it comes to strength, poured concrete walls are hard to beat. They’re extremely tough and have more flexural and compressive strength than block walls.
- Resistant to Lateral Water Pressure – It’s important to build a solid foundation that can withstand as much water as possible. Regardless of how bad the weather becomes. The walls of poured concrete foundations have no joints and are much denser than the walls of cinder block foundations. Buckling or bowing would not be as simple for them.
Are You Looking for a Company to Build Concrete Retaining Walls for Your Home?
Spaulding Concrete has been the SF Bay Area’s top Concrete Retaining Wall Builder for over 30 years. We’re here to build your home’s retaining walls that will last a lifetime, no matter where they need to be placed. We have the specialized equipment, services and professional experience that you need to make permanent improvements to your landscaping. To get you started on the right foot, we would be happy to give you a free quote for your retaining walls. When you reach out by phone or email we will have one of our experts answer any questions you have and explain how we can restore integrity and structural stability to your home or landscape permanently. The qualified concrete experts at Spaulding Concrete will be on schedule, on budget and meet or exceed standards by careful planning, professional execution, and strict quality control. To schedule your free quote, contact us today! We are proud to serve Orinda, Lafayette, Moraga, Pleasant Hill, Concord, Martinez, Pittsburg, Antioch, Brentwood and the surrounding areas.