The Acalanes Union High School District established Miramonte High School in 1955 as a comprehensive public high school serving grades 9-12. Miramonte offers a wide range of academic and elective courses with an enrollment of around 1200 students to allow students to pursue varied learning avenues. We deliver a wide range of Advanced Placement and Honors courses in addition to a strong college preparatory program to challenge students and prepare them to succeed at the college level.
Two 18-week semesters compose the academic year. An updated block plan with an “Anchor” day on Monday is the school week class schedule where students attend all of their classes for 45 minutes each. Students attend three or four classes for a 90 minute ‘Block’ class on Tuesday through Friday. For students to obtain individualized guidance from their teachers, Wednesday and Friday feature an Academy era.
Situated 20 miles east of San Francisco, Orinda is a family-oriented suburban community of 17,600 on the east side of the Oakland/Berkeley Hills. Demonstrating a strong commitment to education, the community and parents continue to provide significant financial support to the Miramonte academic and extracurricular programs. Three parent organizations work together to enhance high school experience for all students by conducting fundraising activities and recruiting volunteers to support student programs and activities that would otherwise not be available. The Orinda Education Foundation also makes a significant annual contribution to a number of school-wide programmes. The Rotary Club of Orinda sponsors a yearly Career Night for students to explore career options.
Specific Learner Outcomes (SLO)
Miramonte High School graduates will be:
- Demonstrate achievement of learning standards.
- Are self-directed and are self-aware.
- Use their creativity to solve problems.
- Reason abstractly and quantitatively.
- Make sense of problems and persevere in solving them.
- Construct viable arguments and can analyze the reasoning of others.
- Apply appropriate strategies, including technology, to learn new concepts and skills.
- Set goals and employ time-management skills to maintain high standards.
- Identify and appropriately address diverse audiences.
- Effectively integrate oral, written, and research skills into their work.
- Listen objectively and empathetically.
- Express themselves logically and creatively.
- Utilize technology appropriately to convey information and ideas.
- Solve problems cooperatively within diverse groups.
- Use appropriate leadership skills to develop and maintain relationships.
- Respectfully consider all viewpoints and are culturally sensitive.
- Leverage appropriate technologies to enhance their work.
- Take responsibility for their own actions.
- Act with integrity and compassion.
- Respect diversity and the opinions of others.
- Practice ethical behavior in regard to the use of information technology and academic honesty.
Miramonte ranks among the top 5 percent of California’s public high schools and has received 6-year accreditation from the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC). MHS has been recognized as a California Distinguished School, a Blue Ribbon School, is on the Gold Medal List of Best California High Schools and is routinely recognized as the country’s Best High Schools in the U.S. News and World Report.
The Miramonte High School community provides a supportive environment for students to grow intellectually, socially, physically, and emotionally, and challenges them to positively contribute to their community.
Miramonte students will be creative and innovative learners, collaborators, and communicators. We challenge our students to become compassionate and knowledgeable citizens who actively participate in our global community.
Orinda, California is blessed with some of the top schools in Northern California:
- Orinda Intermediate School
- Del Rey Elementary School
- Glorietta Elementary School
- Sleepy Hollow Elementary School
- Wagner Ranch Elementary School
All of these schools are located just a short distance from our location in downtown Walnut Creek, Spaulding Concrete on Locust Street!